4/21/2009

What is 'recession proof' really?


How do we 'recession proof' our lives? In this economy I am not sure what that means exactly when most of our States are in recession or at risk of being in recession. More so, most of us are at risk of losing our jobs, being laid of or have lost their jobs.

I was speaking with a friend of mine recently and she was almost hysterical because she had been demoted. I was taken aback for the reason that I have never seen her that emotional before. I allowed her to talk and I listened attentively because I realized that she needed to vent. I was apprehensive about what to say since she was a single mom who was doing it all on her own and I did not want to say the wrong thing or be insensitive to how she was feeling. After listening to her vent for some time I realized that I was not really helping, but promoting her self-pity. I decided the best thing I could do in that moment was to be 'real' or honest with her. My hours had been cut recently and knew that it was just a matter of time before I was out of work, my husband had just started a new job after months of unemployment and so many friends and family members out of work. I then opened up and shared with her how truly fortunate she was to still have a job. After sharing much with her, I then reminded her that although she was doing it all on her own, that if she is able to pay her bills, mortgage, or take care of her family financially and emotionally, then she has a lot to be thankful for. The irony is that she could not see it in that moment, but I also understood that she was just dealing with the initial shock of her demotion.

This is a really tough time for not only Americans, but for so many people around the world. I also know that for those who are challenged by the current state of the economy, that in the end we will come out on top and will be better for it. There are days and nights when I think my game plan is on point and other days when I am overwhelmed and am discouraged. Thus, the fact that others are going through this encourages me to keep moving forward.

My site was nominated for Best Blogging Host!

No comments:

Post a Comment