4/27/2009

The Job Hunt Continues...

I have been actively looking for a work at home job, and although this is no walk in the park, I am very hopeful that I will find the job I am looking for soon. At this point in my job hunt every employer I have applied to has turned me down with the promise of "We will still keep your application on file, but with all the applications we receive, there is no guarantee that we'll be able to hire you. However if there is an opening for this position we will contact you."

This can be discouraging, but in a weird way it is encouraging, because at least employers are responding and still reviewing applications. I don't know... I have made job hunting a full time job; I have applied to long list of companies; I have been to all the popular sites; careerbuilder.com, monster.com, hotjobs.yahoo.com etc. yet no luck.

The bottom line is that there is no real job security anymore. Teachers are getting laid off, construction workers, engineers and the like. The top 3 jobs at the moment are in retail (groceries), health/life insurance and collections. Well, I guess I really need to rethink my career choice during this recession. As a result I, like many others, have come to realize that this is the perfect time to start my own business. If you are like me, you probably have had many creative ideas and have not done anything about them; well now is the time. It seems like the only way to guarantee an income in this economy.

Thus, I have come to realize that maintaining a positive mindset at this time, networking, updating my resume, and getting out there and promoting my skills to potential employers is a sure way to put a 'face to the resume,' and increasing my chances of getting hired. At the end of the day it's about being proactive in the job hunting process to increase the probability of getting a call back.

No comments:

Post a Comment